The operating system is based on a computer program that was developed in 1991, and setup is typically made available in a package-management system that automates its installation, upgrading, configuring, and more. Yes, remote work is often possible in this role as most of the work can be done virtually anywhere with a secure internet connection. linux network engineer However, specific organizations may require on-site presence for their IT personnel for security reasons or in-person collaboration. To stand out from other candidates, you must showcase your skills creatively. Create an online portfolio or a GitHub repository to display your Linux projects, scripts, or system configurations you’re proud of.
- Department of Education, indicates that an institution has passed a rigorous review of its educational offerings, resources and student outcomes.
- Industrial engineering technology applies management and logistics to improve efficiency and productivity.
- This job entails regularly monitoring system performance, conducting necessary system updates, and troubleshooting technical issues to maintain network and system stability.
- At the Virginia-based Old Dominion University (ODU), students can pursue an online bachelor of science in engineering technology as either a degree-completion program or a 120-credit degree.
- This development has increased demand for those with a strong cybersecurity and system-safeguarding background.
Learn how some real-life Network Engineers met their career goals, and hear how getting certified helped them on their path to success. Below, we explore common career types and areas of specialization for Linux engineers. Thank you to Cybrary for providing this opportunity to complete the Cybrary Orientation Certification program with such sleekness and detail-oriented learning. Hear what our team customers have to say about their experiences with our courses.
What additional skills could help a Linux engineer excel?
With different flavors called “distributions or distros,” there are currently more than 2 hundred in the industry! Learning how to work with different distros is a key skill for network engineers and developers. Yes, these professionals frequently collaborate with different teams within a company.
- First off, it’s becoming more and more apparent that most network operating systems are based on some variation of Linux.
- If you excel in STEM-related topics, you may find the engineering field challenging yet rewarding.
- A Linux engineer’s core duties revolve around managing systems running on the Linux operating system.
- Certifications not only augment your skills but also validate your expertise to potential employers, making you a more desirable candidate.
- An excellent understanding of Linux operating systems and problem-solving skills are critical for this role.
Networking is the process of connecting multiple computers and enabling them to communicate with one another. With the rise in cloud, edge, mobile and IoT computing, networking affects our day to day lives more than ever before. Networking roles involve designing, building, optimizing and maintaining network infrastructure and systems. These articles take an inside look at the roles related to CompTIA certifications.
Progressing to leadership roles
A Linux engineer is an IT professional specializing in deploying, configuring, and managing Linux-based systems in a business environment. They play a pivotal role in providing IT infrastructure that meets the evolving needs of businesses. While behind the scenes in most operations, their work forms the backbone of digital communication, storage, and security in many companies, underpinning much of the technology we interact with daily. Courses on vulnerability management, threat intelligence, and SIEM solutions were key for my early roles. As I grow into leadership roles influencing business policy, I’m confident Cybrary will continue developing the knowledge and skills I need to succeed.
Acquiring specialized expertise in areas such as cloud computing, cybersecurity, or DevOps could make you a strong candidate for leadership roles in IT. Various industries employ Linux engineers, such as IT services and software https://remotemode.net/ companies, financial institutions, retail corporations, and government agencies. Any institution managing large data sets or maintaining high-traffic websites will likely need the skills provided by these professionals.
Your new career awaits. Start learning with Cisco U.
Being a network engineer requires that you have a strong understanding of network hardware and network infrastructure. It’s also necessary to have the ability to implement, administer, maintain, and troubleshoot various network devices including firewalls, WAPs, switches, routers, and controllers. In most cases, a network engineer position also requires extensive knowledge of application transport and network infrastructure protocols. Linux and coding are becoming very valuable skills for network engineers that want to expand their horizons in new areas such as SDN, network automation, and DevOps. Certifications like CompTIA Linux+ validates the skills of IT pros with hands-on experience configuring, monitoring and supporting servers running on the Linux operating system. Check out the CompTIA Career Roadmap to see what other certifications can help you become a Linux engineer.
Many organizations are seeking skilled Linux engineers to manage their information systems, leading to a promising career outlook. The tech industry has been evolving rapidly, making this role increasingly challenging and exciting. Working knowledge of server hardware and software is key to managing the system infrastructure, which includes experience with RAID configurations, NIC bonding, and other server-level aspects. On the software end, skills in dealing with web servers, database servers, and mail servers are essential.
Matt Whittle is a freelance writer and editor who holds a BA in English from Penn State University. Before shifting to education-related content, he worked in the wine industry, editing tasting notes and reviews. Matt lives in Warrington, Pennsylvania, where he spends his free time watching movies with his family and recording music.
- The work environment for a Linux engineer mostly revolves around office settings.
- The job requires a deep understanding of Linux platforms and excellent communication skills to communicate effectively with stakeholders and clients.
- Faculty are experienced engineering professionals, delivering coursework across several engineering focuses.
- A Linux engineer specializes in overseeing and handling systems operating on Linux servers.
After completing general education requirements, students engage with core coursework in circuit theory, digital electronics and project management. They also complete an integrated technology assessment capstone and eight lab requirements. Along with general education courses, the 128-credit curriculum includes core engineering courses exploring energy systems, solid mechanics, digital circuit design and mechatronics.